It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:22 am 
Site Admin

Okay guys, now is the time to get your voice heard!

As you probably already know, within the next few weeks we're launching our TOWNS! server. The idea behind this is that the server is highly protected, economy enabled, shops etc.

The question is, what form do you want to see it take on?

Post your suggestions below, and discuss away friends!

Cheers,

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:58 pm 

In my opinion, for protected and economy based servers, an RP-ish approach would work really good. There could be a lot of towns and cities, all with different opportunities, roving traders, guilds, arenas, gladiators and what not! All kinds of stuff like that would really appeal to me, and maybe pull some game hours from the Scablands over here instead.

I suggest getting a lot of bot and automation mods, as they will prove helpful for shop owners, fill-in civilians, guards and maybe even highway robbers.
On the other hand, we could also hope for a player driven approach and economy, although that will be hard to pull off without MANY slots and huge popularity. Maybe some time in the future. One can dream.

-Niels567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm 

*said by Niels originally* I'm guessing that by RP-ish he means a Role-Playing approach, in which case I agree. That said, though, I'm sure others will disagree or won't speak up. But... I think there should definitely be a poll for a play-type of multiple plugins though.

Most modded servers have the Faction plugin, now I'm not saying it shouldn't be installed but, it is overused.

Shops mod, yes. Village/Town mod sure. But, I'm just saying, should the server have a slightly different feel or approach, rather than just the norm?... Because I'm bored of the same ol', same ol' Heavily modded servers...

Anyone else? Is it just me that's bored of the HM (Heavily Modded) Servers all being the same? Whatever :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm 

FireFox2234 wrote:
Most modded servers have the Faction plugin, now I'm not saying it shouldn't be installed but, it is overused.

The factions plugin has no place on any server with any form of civilisation whatsoever. That being said, it also overcomplicates the forming and use of teams, however the team home, team chat and the safe/warzones are good for this kind of server, but can be obtained without the plugin.

Adding further to the "RP-ish" approach description, possible player-jobs would be city planner, carpenter, smith, miner and more, while all the passive positions, like random shop owners and can be made with bots. This would ensure that a player always has something to do, as eg. a carpenter would have their work cut out, when someone wants to make a city. This would also make the server more interactive, as the structures and facilities will be made by the players, and not only admins and pre-launch builders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm 

Niels567 wrote:
FireFox2234 wrote:

The factions plugin has no place on any server with any form of civilisation whatsoever. That being said, it also overcomplicates the forming and use of teams, however the team home, team chat and the safe/warzones are good for this kind of server, but can be obtained without the plugin.

Adding further to the "RP-ish" approach description, possible player-jobs would be city planner, carpenter, smith, miner and more, while all the passive positions, like random shop owners and can be made with bots. This would ensure that a player always has something to do, as eg. a carpenter would have their work cut out, when someone wants to make a city. This would also make the server more interactive, as the structures and facilities will be made by the players, and not only admins and pre-launch builders.

Indeed, this is all true. But, players might want the server to be different than the same ol' setup. I repeat though: I'm not saying I DON'T want this, but I am suggesting to take a different approach. But to what end I don't know yet.

But as far as cities go, they should be somehow limited. It goes without saying not every player should be allowed set one up themselves, only trusted players like CC, CS, you and I won't say me but I'd like to think I am trusted, should be allowed to.

But zones should be allowed to say, citizens or builders, and later could make a faction, and later possibly a town/city.

A lot is to be desired but, are some of the mods going to be a necessity? Because one's that aren't I think shouldn't be installed until further notice.

This is just my opinion, as when I hosted a classic server, the way I set things up was very complicated, intricate and whatever BUT the thing is, it all worked out so well that it was full three quarters of the time (it was a 128 slot, so that's something to say).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:07 pm 

These will seem minor but they are important to me. The two plugins I suggest are the plugin that makes the entire tree fall down if you chop the bottom block, and the plugin that replants a sapling automatically when you cut down a tree.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Lemmiwinks wrote:
These will seem minor but they are important to me. The two plugins I suggest are the plugin that makes the entire tree fall down if you chop the bottom block, and the plugin that replants a sapling automatically when you cut down a tree.

I totally agree with this statement!